Joss & Main

Saturday, December 29, 2012

Priming A Dining Room Table Pt.2 Refinishing A Dining Room Table Series

Welcome back!! Today we'll be priming a stripped and cleaned dining room table. Over the last two days I've shared with you the before and after pictures of my $40 Dining Room Table Makeover and how to strip and clean your dining room table.

Priming your table can be frustrating. I'm going to share a little secret with you. Are you ready for it?
Go on. Press your ear to the screen and imagine me whispering to you. Too close for comfort? Yeah I thought so ;) But are you ready for the secret? Penetrol.




That's right. This stuff baby.Now, I admit,  I should have used this. But I didn't. I wasn't sure I had to. What is Penetrol you ask? It is a paint conditioner for oil based paint and primer. It allows paints and primers to dry at a slower rate allowing for less brush and roller marks. Which if you look really close at my table, you can see them. 

Items needed:

Oil based primer(it's more durable than latex based). I used Zinsser Cover Stain Primer. But Kilz in the equivalent is fine.

Three-five 3in foam brushes(large areas)

2-3 1in foam brushes(small areas/details)

Tarp

Penetrol( I highly recommend it)

Mineral Oil(clean up for accidental spillage)

Extra fine grit sanding block



Cool thing about foam brushes? You can buy them at your local dollar store for less than a dollar a piece.

Priming doesn't have to be exact because you'll be painting over it. But be sure you sand with an extra fine grit sanding block to smooth out the primer.


More visual learning aids :) I'm just looking our for you. It's ok you can tip me later ;)


I think this is a 2". Definitely use a 3". It makes your life so much easier.



Now, I know that you can have your stain tinted. But When I opened my can of primer, it was this color. I wasn't sure if someone had it tinted and then returned it or what. But I used it anyway. It worked fine. I did one coat for the base and two coats for the table top.



I did not prime the brass here. I'm not sure why. I think I wasn't sure on if I was going to paint it.


Upclose shot of the detail.


The whole piece.





This is one coat of primer, sanded. You can see areas of the wood showing through. The top definitely needed to coats.





Corner detail of the table top



Close up edge detail.





Some areas of the feet and base needed two coats of primer.





One coat on the table top primed and lightly sanded. REMEMBER to sand lightly. You don't want to take off the layer of primer. It's best to sand by hand. An electric sander, even on the lowest setting would be too strong.





And then even taking extreme precautions, your son could accidentally damage your priming job :(


Don't forget to check back in tomorrow for the painting and sealing process!! It's almost done!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment